A little more back to normal this week? Let's find out, shall we?
16) Chargers-Titans: SD in navy/white, TEN in white/navy.
Too much similarity here. White helmets, navy socks for both and
flip-flops on the jersey-pants combos. Blah. Titans definitely should
have rocked the columbia blue pants, so we'd at least have a varying
tint of blue. Not one of my upper echelon choices.
15) Buccaneers-Patriots: TB in white/pewter, NE in
navy/silver. Man I'm just not feeling anything more than C+ for this
one. These aren't bad unis, I like them both. But when there are
matched up, it just misses the boat for me. 2 + 2 = 3 here, or
something like that.
14) Falcons-Dolphins: ATL in red/white, MIA in
white/white. Falcons have all the zip and zing here, Dolphins have all
of the white. I do like a lot of the elements in the new Miami unis,
but that's the aqua's. A team that I think should wear the aqua's much
more often than they do. Besides if the Fins are worried about wearing
"dark" in the tropical South Florida sun, aqua is perhaps the lightest
"dark" colored jersey that any of the 32 NFL teams wear. So thanks,
Falcons. You alone keep this game from the deep dark cave of the GUD's
13) Cardinals-Saints: ARZ in red/white, NO in white/faded
gold. Saints in normal early season WAH (white at home). Would
probably have been better for the Saints in at least black tops, but
this forces the Big Red in red jerseys. This is not a bad matchup, but
there could have been some better choices here.
12) Giants-Panthers: NYG in blue/gray, CAR in
white/white. I know it's standard operating procedure (SOP) for the
Panthers to go WAH early in the season, but gee, I really think this
would have been a great time to see the carolina blue alternates. But,
the Giant blues are always a good sight. A good - but not great -
11) Jaguars-Seahawks: JAX in white/white, SEA in
navy/navy. Welcome to Nike Bowl I! These are the two sets of unis
where Nike has taken the most liberty with design changes and twerks,
er, tweaks (Sorry, Miley Cyrus). Anyway, both teams are certainly both
with distinctive looks, with the wild array of shapes, bright green trim
and helmets that transition from matte black to gold right before your
very eyes. Very intriguing, but at the end of the day, probably middle
of the road as far as the rankings go.
10) Bills-Jets: BUF in white/blue, NYJ in green/white.
Bills rock the billy blue pants and it works so much better with the
white jerseys than the white pants. Jets in standard green jersey -
white pants ensemble, and even though both sport white lids, these sets
of unis mesh quite well together.
9) Rams-Cowboys: STL in dark blue/dark blue, DAL in
white/mint. Thinking the Rams did right by going with all dark blue in
this one. Makes a stark contrast to the typical WAH wearing Cowboys.
As such, it earns Timmy B's brownie (blueie???) points.
8) Raiders-Broncos: OAK in white/silver, DEN in
orange/white. Traditional foes with traditional colors. For the
Broncos, switching back to orange as the primary jersey was such a good
move. Makes this game stand out so much more than if the Broncos would
have worn navy. Actually enhances the rather generic white jerseyed
7) Texans-Ravens: HOU in white/dark blue, BAL in
purple/white. Both teams in standard wear, and this works very well.
One team in dark pants, one in white bottoms. Not much more to add,
other than a very good contemporary look.
6) Colts-49ers: IND in white/white, SF in red/gold. Is
there something wrong with me? For the first two weeks, I moaned about
how dull the Colts look is with me. Yet this week, for some reason, I think
the Colts' duds bounce quite nicely off the Niners home set of bright
scarlet and gold. Must be the Northern California sun hitting the Colts
blue trim at the perfect angle. This one is on the money.
5) Browns-Vikings: CLE in white/white, MIN in
purple/white. First official outing for the Vikes new purple jerseys,
and while these jerseys say "football jersey" than the previous ones,
there are touches (flair tipped numbers, and sleeve stripes) that scream
"2013" as well as "1963." The purple seems more vivid that ever and
paired up with the standard Browns' orange and brown, the matchup has a
lively feel to it.
4) Chiefs-Eagles: KC in white/red, PHI in green/white. After the stunning shock of the Chiefs in all fire-engine red last week, we see KC sporting a more standard white jersey with the red pants. Eagles go dark for the Thursday nighter, with the green jerseys. A Chirstmassy matchup with the reds and greens, but it's as sweet as sugar cookies (with Chief red and Eagle green sprinkles, of course).
3) Bears-Steelers: CHI in white/navy, PIT in
black/yellow. I do like this one. Paired against the coal black lids
of the Steelers, the navy hued helmets of the Bears seem to jump a bit
on front of my weak eyes. Orange and yellow trims seem to sparkle a
little more under Edison's lamplights.
2) Lions-Redskins: DET in white/silver, WSH in burgundy/yellow. Two old school teams rocking a really sharp matchup. Silver, yellow, black, and a little honolulu blue here and a lot of burgundy there. Nice and smooth blend at work.
1) Packers-Bengals: GB in white/yellow, CIN in alternate orange/white. Bright sunny colors at work here, with a lot of orange and a lot of yellow. I think the Bengals wearing black pants would have added a jolt of darkness to offset all of the brightness. Still, this one has it made in the shade.
What's in store for Week 4? Stay tuned and find out! See you then, Do GUD'ders!!
- ► 2016 (5)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (38)
- ▼ 2013 (42)
- ► 2012 (95)
- ► 2011 (83)
- Bill Schaefer (38)
- Tim Brulia (32)
- On This Day (29)
- Super Bowls (25)
- Larry Schmitt (19)
- Giants (16)
- Cowboys (10)
- Dolphins (10)
- Steelers (10)
- Weekly Rankings (10)
- 49ers (9)
- Eagles (9)
- Bills (8)
- If Now Was Then (8)
- concepts (8)
- Patriots (7)
- Raiders (7)
- Bears (5)
- Best Uniform Contest (5)
- Broncos (5)
- Chiefs (5)
- Vikings (5)
- Browns (4)
- Chargers (4)
- Colts (4)
- Lions (4)
- Packers (4)
- Rams (4)
- Bengals (3)
- Buccaneers (3)
- Bucs (3)
- Oilers (3)
- Panthers (3)
- Redskins (3)
- Saints (3)
- Uni Watch (3)
- Christmas (2)
- Falcons (2)
- Hall of Fame (2)
- Jaguars (2)
- Jets (2)
- Ravens (2)
- website (2)
- 1953 (1)
- AFL (1)
- AFL 1926 (1)
- Bum Phillips (1)
- Dodgers (1)
- GUD (1)
- London (1)
- Mark Young (1)
- Phil Hecken (1)
- Rob Holecko (1)
- Ronald Reagan (1)
- Seahawks (1)
- WFL (1)
- anniversary (1)
- helmet (1)
- jersey (1)
- pants (1)
- stripes (1)