A note before we get started: October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. We at the GUD fully support the NFL's sponsorship of the cause. You will note all during this month teams and officials wearing pink accessories. However, the GUD will monitor the uniforms during the month only the teams normal colors.
Now, let's move to the task at hand:
14) Panthers-Cardinals: CAR in white/white, ARZ in alternate black/white. Really not so good. Anytime the Cardinals wear the pointless black jerseys, I will knock it down to the lower level. Plus the Panthers in all white (with the carolina blue socks), while sleek, just doesn't have the punch to off-set the Cardinals', um, duds.
13) Jaguars-Rams: JAX in white/white, STL in dark blue/dark blue. As we move on with the Jaguars exotic mix of teal, black, matte black and gold on a white/white uni, it goes up against the Rams in all dark blue. Maybe yesterday I would have raved about this matchup. Today, it looks rather blah.
12) Jets-Falcons: NYJ in white/white, ATL in red/white. The Monday Nighter in recent years may have yielded the Falcons in their 60's throwbacks, but not so this year. Still, the bright red jerseys works well and carries the load against the Jets stark whiteness. Still say the Jets should wear the green socks when in all white, because this look is just too...I don't know...white??
11) Ravens-Dolphins: BAL in purple/white, MIA in white/white. Ravens do white pants in the South Florida sun, which is good. Dolphins go all white, which is not so good. It really is time for the Fins to go with aqua pants with the white tops, simply for the better. So this matchup is down the list.
10) Seahawks-Colts: SEA in white/white, IND in blue/white. Mprh. Not the best choice by the Seahawks, where the gray pants would have worked perfectly against the Colts stark blue and white package. Enough sparkling trim by the 'Hawks to keep it from a drag, but the gray pants would have sparkled. Gray as "sparkling." Imagine that.
9) Eagles-Giants: PHI in white/white, NYG in blue/gray. Eagles with a surprise decision to use white pants with the white jerseys against the Giants standard of blue jerseys and gray bottoms. And that choice was a letdown. The Eagles in green pants against the Giants in blue is a sharp spot on look. Not this one.
8) Texans-49ers: HOU in white/navy, SF in red/gold. Nice matchup. Really. This is a good one, with nice unis, colors, combos, and the like. But, it just doesn't excite me. We don't see this matchup that often, but can't explain the X factor, why I'm just not that pumped on this one. But I will say, the Texans red numbers do pop when paired on those Niners scarlet jerseys.
7) Chargers-Raiders: SD in white/navy, OAK in black/silver. If I'm not mistaken, the second latest kickoff (11:35 PM EDT) in NFL history. So, most folks were in bed while this one was in action. Those who are more nocturnal saw a nice uni matchup, the Chargers showing off the navy pants with the white jerseys punctuated by navy, yellow and a pinch of powder blue lightning bolts. Against the Raiders in their normal virtually whiteless unis, the shiny sliver numbers and NOBs, the silvery pants and the thin black side stripe.
6) Saints-Bears: NO in white/black, CHI in navy/white. The Saints again go with black pants to suit up with the white jerseys at the Bears' always powerful navy jersey with the 73 years old white pants. I just happen to think this is a really good matchup, better than had the Saints worn the gold pants. It just looks right from here.
5) Lions-Packers: DET in white/silver, GB in green/yellow. This matchup, like most NFC North matchups, feature tradition as a major uniform look me up. Continues here. Nice Lions uni and awesome Packers green and yellows. That honolulu blue with a touch of black and the earnest helpings of the Packers in dark is ace.
4) Broncos-Cowboys: DEN in alternate navy/navy, DAL in white/mint. The Broncos go with the full navy, giving the orange a rest, and really, I like it. Relegating the dreaded dark blues to alternate status for the Broncs is a good move. Not good enough to be primary, but certainly good enough for the alternate route. Pairs well against the standard Cowboys WAH (white at home).
3) Chiefs-Titans: KC in white/red, TEN in columbia blue/navy blue. Really, why would the Chiefs ever go all white? Pairing this look with the Titans in two tones, this bold red with hints of yellow by the Chiefs creates uni eye candy for me. Like this one a lot!
1*) Patriots-Bengals: NE in white/navy, CIN in black/white. I have always said that a team in a triple color uni is a plus. When both teams are in tri-chrome, it's a bonanza. White. silver, navy, orange, black come together and satisfies my uni appetite for variety. Plus a pinch of red from the Pats, and it fills the senses.
1**) Bills-Browns: BUF in white/blue, CLE in brown/brown. When our own Rob Holecko broke the news that the Browns were going to break out the all brown look, I was incredulous. I thought the Browns permanently ditched the brown pants. But no, not only did they trot them out, they couple them with the brown jerseys! And for good measure, they pulled up brown hose instead of the white striped socks. Call the look what you will (my daughter tagged it the "tootsie roll" uni with a pumpkin on top!), it was certainly unlike anything seen before. The Bills, the opponents, wore their best combo for the event, the white jerseys and the perfectly blue pants with blue socks. What a (fill in the blank here _________) matchup!
*Top one under normal circumstances.
**Top one for sheer audacity.
We'll be back next week with Week 6. Till then, enjoy the football and enjoy the GUD!