As we delve deeper into the 2013 NFL Season, we have this latest batch of uniform matchups.
15) Titans-Seahawks: TEN in white/navy, SEA in navy/navy.
Nope, doesn't work. Just too much navy. One helmet, one jersey, two
pants, too socks. Titans just absolutely should have worn columbia blue
pants. Would have been so much better.
14) Eagles-Buccaneers: PHI in green/white, TB in
white/pewter. This is so-so. Nothing bad, really. Eagles look good in
green over white, the Bucs look pleasing in white over pewter. Maybe a
little something new, like the Bucs in ...red pants? Anyway, another
case of two good sets of unis that together, just don't add up to really
13) Rams-Texans: STL in white/navy, HOU in navy/white.
While gold and red add some buffer, there is still a bit much in the
navy and white department. This one game where the Rams recently
ditched gold pants would have added a lot of mettle (medal?) to this
12) Cardinals-49ers: ARZ in white/white, SF in red/gold.
Lot of red, and in my opinion, could have used even more. My thought is
that if the Cardinals had rocked some red pants with the white jerseys,
it would have given this pairing some major juice. A lot of white, a
lot of red and a little gold is a good thing, but my eyes would have
preferred some red pants, Cardinal-wise.
11) Raiders-Chiefs: OAK in white/silver, KC in red/white.
This matchup we have now seen for decades. It's a conservative
pairing, but it does work for many. Not the most in terms of color,
just white, black, silver, red and a bit of yellow. But most certainly
not the most boring, either.
10) Jaguars-Broncos: JAX in all white, DEN in
orange/white. After last week in all navy, the Broncos return to the
first class orange jerseys and go against the Jags in the Nikefied
whites. For the first time, from my eyes, the Jags black to gold helmet
actually helps this game. Not that it needed much when the Broncos
sport orange, but the Jaguars uni is not a putoff...this week, anyway.
9) Packers-Ravens: GB in white/yellow, BAL in alternate
black/white. Unlike their fellow winged team, the Cardinals, the Ravens
in black jerseys is much more of a fit. Arguably, better than purple?
Matched with the Pack in white and yellow, it's a good matchup, but
play this game in Lambeau instead of M&T Bank, and this would be
electric with the Ravens in white and the Packers in green. But we can
take this one just the same.
8) Steelers-Jets: PIT in white/yellow, NYJ in
green/white. It's good to get the Jets out of that bland white from
head to toe appearance. So that alone turns this matchup up a few
spots. Steelers showing up in their whites that have lots of yellow
trim and it's a good complimentary uni to a Jets outfit in green.
7) Giants-Bears: NYG in white/gray, CHI in navy/white. Being a nighttime game, I was half thinking we could see the Bears in all navy, but da Bears stay true to form. The Giants in the white with all the red and the gray pants. Somewhat traditional, but a nice dependable look by both squads.
6) Panthers-Vikings: CAR in white/white, MIN in purple/white. This one actually looks sharp. The Vikes' purple jersey is really growing on me and it does pair up well with the silver, black and pale blue trim of the Panthers whites. Nice and clean.
5) Redskins-Cowboys: WSH in burgundy/yellow, DAL in
white/mint. The fabled rivalry with the fabled matchup. I always like
this one. The yellow pants add a grain of pop to this one and it just
goes well with the Cowboys as always WAH combo.
4) Saints-Patriots: NO in white/black, NE in
navy/silver. Had the Saints worn their gold pants, it would have been a
nice bit of symmetry between the metallic helmets and pants with the
white/dark jerseys. But then the Saints had to go and spoil it all with
the black pants. And what's wrong with that? It gives this game an
extra spark as far as I'm concerned. Enough gold and silver, but not in
excess. Well played, NO!
3) Bengals-Bills: CIN in white/black, BUF in blue/white. This matchup is a sweet one with the Bengals in the preferred white top and black bottoms, which goes quite well with the Bills in the perfect blue jerseys and the trims of red (Bills) and orange (Bengals) make for a good mix of colors without being overwhelming. Thumbs up!
2) Lions-Browns: DET in white/silver, CLE in brown/white. After last week's monumental brown on brown uni, the Browns settle down to more routine brown on white. Paired up with the Lions in white over silver, this matchup still resonates as a classy twosome. Add silver, orange and a touch of black, this game is suitable for framing.
1) Colts-Chargers: IND in white/white, SD in alternate powder blue/white. O yeah. When the Chargers rocks the powders, the game automatically ratches up to (or near) the top. It is such an electric look, and maybe that is why it is seen so rarely. And it couldn't come at a better time. The Colts all whites are quite dependent on the opponent's look. And the Chargers deliver the goods with this dynamite look. Winner!
That will do it for this week as the season rapidly heads for Week 8. Enjoy it!
- ► 2016 (5)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (38)
- ▼ 2013 (42)
- ► 2012 (95)
- ► 2011 (83)
- Bill Schaefer (38)
- Tim Brulia (32)
- On This Day (29)
- Super Bowls (25)
- Larry Schmitt (19)
- Giants (16)
- Cowboys (10)
- Dolphins (10)
- Steelers (10)
- Weekly Rankings (10)
- 49ers (9)
- Eagles (9)
- Bills (8)
- If Now Was Then (8)
- concepts (8)
- Patriots (7)
- Raiders (7)
- Bears (5)
- Best Uniform Contest (5)
- Broncos (5)
- Chiefs (5)
- Vikings (5)
- Browns (4)
- Chargers (4)
- Colts (4)
- Lions (4)
- Packers (4)
- Rams (4)
- Bengals (3)
- Buccaneers (3)
- Bucs (3)
- Oilers (3)
- Panthers (3)
- Redskins (3)
- Saints (3)
- Uni Watch (3)
- Christmas (2)
- Falcons (2)
- Hall of Fame (2)
- Jaguars (2)
- Jets (2)
- Ravens (2)
- website (2)
- 1953 (1)
- AFL (1)
- AFL 1926 (1)
- Bum Phillips (1)
- Dodgers (1)
- GUD (1)
- London (1)
- Mark Young (1)
- Phil Hecken (1)
- Rob Holecko (1)
- Ronald Reagan (1)
- Seahawks (1)
- WFL (1)
- anniversary (1)
- helmet (1)
- jersey (1)
- pants (1)
- stripes (1)