Before I get going, Bill just posted a GREAT blog on what the Cowboys have in store this year's Thanksgiving game, please check it out!
14) Panthers-Dolphins: CAR in black/silver, MIA in
white/white. You don't want to see the Panthers suffer in all black, so
this usual combo at Miami is proper. And the Dolphins surprise
absolutely no one in all white. It is a rather so-so encounter.
13) Broncos-Patriots: DEN in white/white, NE in
navy/silver. Though these two are perennial contenders, this matchup is
not really giving me the excitement. Lot of navy, slivers of orange
and red, and a dose of silver. Patriots had the chance to pull a coup
and go all navy, but that - alas - was a pipe dream. So is this matchup.
12) Bears-Rams: CHI in white/navy, STL in navy/navy. A
little much on the navy. A case of nice unis separately, but together,
too much darkness. Rams in white pants would have bumped this matchup
some. It is still pretty good as I see it, though.
11) Jaguars-Texans: JAX in white/black, HOU in navy/navy.
Another freakishly dark matchup. At least the Jags goofy helmet breaks
the dark monotony. I like the Texans rare all navy look, but it could
have been helped if the Jaguars had gone all white for this one.
10) Steelers-Browns: PIT in white/yellow, CLE in
brown/brown. A new wrinkle in this 60+ year old rivalry. Browns go all
chocolate for the second time this season and do it against their
nemesis, who wear their usual whites and yellows. Not nearly as excited
as when the Browns wore the all brown look earlier, but it does drop a
log on the fire against their close neighbors.
9) Buccaneers-Lions: TB in white/pewter, DET in honolulu
blue/silver. A lot of metal, but the pewter mixes well with the
silver. And the red and black trim blends well with that magnificent
Lions blue and a touch of black.
8) Jets-Ravens: NYJ in white/white, BAL in purple/black.
The Ravens carry the load in this pairing. I am pleased to see the
Ravens break out the purple and black, which is definitely the best look
for them against the Jets head to toe whiteness. Had the Jets at least
considered either green pants and or even green socks, could have been
7) Saints-Falcons: NO in white/black, ATL in
red/white. Long time rivals usually look good when playing each other,
and this game is no exception. While there's plenty of black to go
around, there's a lot of red and gold to trim. Sharp matchup.
6) Cowboys-Giants: DAL in white/mint, NYG in blue/white.
The Giants know when to wear their new white pants. This was and is a
good opportunity. The white pants save the game from gray/minty
overkill, and it does seem to make the blue jerseys pop a little and
really works well off the Cowboy normals. A-OK matchup.
5) Chargers-Chiefs: SD in white/navy, KC in red/white.
Nothing out of the ordinary in this traditional matchup, but it is a
good one. Chargers look good with the white jerseys and navy pants,
trimmed neatly in yellow when matched up with the Chiefs red and
yellows. I'm fond of this one.
4) 49ers-Redskins: SF in white/gold, WSH in
burgundy/yellow. Reds and golds. In various tones. Niners wear the
rather generic whites, but the bright red numbers and trim go well. The
Redskins in burgundy, with helpings of yellow. I like how this one
works. Not too much of the reds, golds, and even whites, but a perfect
blend of the shades. Good one.
3) Titans-Raiders: TEN in white/navy, OAK in
black/silver. For whatever reason, I think this is winner. Not too
much of any good thing here. Raider sleek in silver and black, Titans
looking good in the white and navy combo with columbia blue on the
sleeves. I enjoy this one.
2) Vikings-Packers: MIN in white/purple, GB in green/yellow. Classic look in my eyes when I see the Vikes in delicious purple (pants wise) while the Pack go in the sweet green and yellow combo. Very colorful, not too much darkness or white. Rather sweet, I think.
1) Colts-Cardinals: IND in white/white, ARZ in red/red. After a year's absence, the Cardinals red slacks return, and they picked the perfect opponent to do so, the white-white Colts. The Cardinals go all red and it contrasts sharply and perfectly against the stark white, and the Colts slight blue trim. Good move.
We at the Gridiron Uniform Database would like to wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving!
- ► 2016 (5)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (38)
- ▼ Nov 24 - Dec 1 (2)
- ► 2012 (95)
- ► 2011 (83)
- Bill Schaefer (38)
- Tim Brulia (32)
- On This Day (29)
- Super Bowls (25)
- Larry Schmitt (19)
- Giants (16)
- Cowboys (10)
- Dolphins (10)
- Steelers (10)
- Weekly Rankings (10)
- 49ers (9)
- Eagles (9)
- Bills (8)
- If Now Was Then (8)
- concepts (8)
- Patriots (7)
- Raiders (7)
- Bears (5)
- Best Uniform Contest (5)
- Broncos (5)
- Chiefs (5)
- Vikings (5)
- Browns (4)
- Chargers (4)
- Colts (4)
- Lions (4)
- Packers (4)
- Rams (4)
- Bengals (3)
- Buccaneers (3)
- Bucs (3)
- Oilers (3)
- Panthers (3)
- Redskins (3)
- Saints (3)
- Uni Watch (3)
- Christmas (2)
- Falcons (2)
- Hall of Fame (2)
- Jaguars (2)
- Jets (2)
- Ravens (2)
- website (2)
- 1953 (1)
- AFL (1)
- AFL 1926 (1)
- Bum Phillips (1)
- Dodgers (1)
- GUD (1)
- London (1)
- Mark Young (1)
- Phil Hecken (1)
- Rob Holecko (1)
- Ronald Reagan (1)
- Seahawks (1)
- WFL (1)
- anniversary (1)
- helmet (1)
- jersey (1)
- pants (1)
- stripes (1)