Conference Championships


Championship Sunday 
by Rob Holecko


Today is the day we will find out what two teams will meet in Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis in two weeks.  Any of the four possible matchups have great possible storylines.  It could be a first ever Super Bowl with opposing teams coached by brothers....it could be a rematch of either Super Bowl XLII or Super Bowl XXXV...or it could be the franchise of the 2000s versus the franchise of the 1980s...

But first we get to enjoy a couple great conference championship matchups.  In the early game today, the Baltimore Ravens take on the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship, while in the later game the San Francisco 49ers will host the New York Giants in the NFC Championship.

Who do we at the Gridiron Uniform Database website think is going to win?  Well, here are our picks...

Bill Schaefer..."What I want and what I think are 2 different things.  I'd like to see 49ers-Ravens but I think that it will be the Patriots and the Giants, so I'm going to split the difference and say Patriots over 49ers."

Tim Brulia..."As much as I hate to say it, I'll pick the Ravens over the Giants. That would be the fourth Super Bowl (along with I, XXVII and XXXII) that will feature the two road teams winning Conference Championships.  But I am rooting for the Giants and Patriots. So far, though, I am 0-for-8 in the playoffs."

Rob Holecko..."I think it will be the Giants over the Patriots.  The Giants are just playing too good right now, and I think they will beat the 49ers today, and I think the Patriots won't make the same mistakes they made two years ago in the playoffs when they lost to the Ravens.  In the Super Bowl, I think the Giants will beat the Pats again, just like they did four years ago."

Well, there you have it our Super Bowl picks...


~ ~ ~

On This Day.... a couple great Super Bowls were played on January 22nds.  Who can forget Marcus Allen's touchdown run when it went one way, then turned around and went the other way and ran for the touchdown, or how about Jack Squirek's interception return of Joe Theismann right before halftime.  The Raiders defeated the Redskins 38-9 in the first Super Bowl in Tampa in Super Bowl XVIII.  Then five years later, Joe Montana led the 49ers on a game winning drive over the Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII, and the 49ers won their third Super Bowl Championship of the 1980s in Bill Walsh's final game.  A couple great Super Bowls to remember as we look forward to see what new memories will be made this Super Bowl season.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter

Blog Archive